Sunday, June 26, 2011

Self Evaluation: Digital Story

Below is the rubric I used to evaluate my digital story for this course.

I chose to evaluate my digital story since it is a project that I would likely use in my own classroom. However, I think I would need to modify this rubric a bit to get an accurate score for my digital story created with a cell phone for this class. In the first section of this rubric, Mechanics, I gave myself a 3 for Timeliness and a 1 for documentation. While I did give credit to my Flickr Creative Commons photos at the end of my story, the citations were not in APA format. The Group Dynamic section of this rubric did not really apply to me, since it was an individual project. Therefore, with this rubric, I had to give myself a 1 for Work Delineation and 1 for Collaboration and Contribution, since the wording of the rubric specifies that for a 1, only one person in the group did the work. However, I gave myself a 3 for Respect, since I did respect myself and my ideas while completing the project.

The Planning section of this rubric would be more pertinent to my students if using this project in my class. For the purpose of creating my digital story, I gave myself a 3 for Creativity, and 2 for Storyboarding, and a 3 for Content and Theme. I took a point off for the Storyboard since I did not create a formal storyboard, but instead wrote out a script and organized my photos separately on my phone.

For the Use of Technology section of this rubric, I gave myself a 2 for Videography, since I didn't play around with camera angles and lighting too much, and a 3 for editing, since I did carefully plan smooth transitions and timing of each photo with my narration.

Overall, my score was 22/30, which averages out to be a 73%. I don't feel that this is a very accurate representation of my work, so I would need to change this rubric to more accurately represent an individual effort rather than a group effort. I would also eliminate the Videography category, since that was not a main focus of the project. If I use this rubric in my classroom, I would probably have students work in groups, so that section might remain the same, but I would likely add more focus to the Planning section of the rubric, since I would want them to put a lot of effort into the story itself before they apply the technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment