Sunday, June 19, 2011

Digital Story With a Cell Phone

View my digital story created with my iPhone4 below! Also, here is the link to view my digital story on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBoGC0Pkjoc&feature=youtube_gdata_player


I actually had a lot of fun creating this project entirely on my phone, I think mainly because I have the iPhone4, and there are so many capabilities for creating projects with that phone! I even learned some new things about my phone that I didn't know it could do.

I started out with an idea and a script. I knew I wanted to use photos rather than video in my digital story, mostly because I had some creative ideas of how to integrate photos I had already taken with my phone's camera. I sat down and typed up a script, then started to put together a compilation of photos in my photo library on my camera. Many photos I had already taken myself, but I needed to use my phone's internet capabilities to find others. I logged onto Safari from my phone and did a search for different photos on Flickr's Creative Commons page, looking for photos that required attribution, but that could be used in other works. Once I found the photos online, I had to take a screen shot of the photo to get it into my photo library. To do this, my friend showed me that I could click the top button and the center button on the front of the phone at the same time, and it would take a screen shot. I was very excited to learn this! I had no idea I could do that, but it made integrating photos from the web so much easier. To eliminate any part of the screen shot that was not part of the photo, I used the PhotoShop Express app that I already had on my phone to crop or rotate the photo.

I then needed a way to compile all the photos together, and I knew I could use my Macbook to compile the story in iMovie, but I wanted push myself to see if I could do everything on the phone. I searched for apps that might work, and found that there is actually an iMovie app available for $5. I downloaded the app and was really pleased with the functions available. I was able to choose photos from my library to add, so I pieced together all of the photos that went along with my script first. Once they were dropped into my iMovie project, I chose one of the existing music themes that comes with the app to use as background music. I tried to choose something light and fun, considering the nature of the project, so I chose the theme called "Playful." The last thing to do was to add my script to the project, so I needed to record my voice. Though I could have used another app to do this, I had no need, considering that the iMovie app also has the functionality to record. I was able to record my script through my phone using this function, and the nice thing was that it let me retake the recording if I wasn't happy with the first take (which I  wasn't). I did about 4 recordings until I was happy with it, and then added that to my project. The last step was to adjust the length of time each picture was shown so it matched up with my recording. I was able to easily do this by tapping the photo with my finger and dragging it to make it longer or shorter. Lastly, to make sure the final project was complete, I was able to play the whole thing in the iMovie app.

The tough part, then, was getting the final project uploaded so people could view it publicly. First, I exported the project to iTunes to make sure I had a copy, in case anything went wrong. Then, I used the export function in iMovie to upload the digital story to YouTube. The problem with this part was that I needed a wi-fi connection and could not simply use 3G. Since I'm in South Carolina right now, I had to make sure I was at a friend's house that had wi-fi, and then I was able to connect to their network. The digital story took a few minutes to upload, and then took a few minutes to fully load onto YouTube. Next, I logged onto the YouTube app on my cell phone and viewed my videos. My digital story was saved there, with a link to view it.  I was able to copy the link by tapping it and hitting "select" to copy it. I then logged onto my EDIM514 blog using Safari on my cell phone, and pasted it onto my blog! The only part of the project for which I actually used my computer was this reflection. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment