Monday, May 30, 2011

Human Filters

When trying to find useful Web 2.0 tools to use in my classroom, the search can become rather daunting. Especially when trying to simply search for "Web 2.0 tools" in Google or other search engines, scanning through results and evaluating countless tools can be an overwhelming task. This is why using human filters can be beneficial for teachers who want to implement Web 2.0 tools in their classrooms. One of the greatest human filters I have found has been my district's technology coordinator, Carol Roth. Carol was an educator first, so she knows the importance of finding tools that have some sort of subject-area use, and are not simply implemented for the sake of using technology. Carol constantly updates a "Tech Support Wiki" for teachers of all grade levels, and devotes a page specific to Web 2.0 tools.

The second human filter I've found to be of benefit has been my colleagues at my high school. Our district sets aside specific teacher collaboration days, during which time teachers can share experiences with technology use and discuss successes or ask each other questions and suggest improvements. Through these sessions, I have learned about various Web 2. 0 tools and have been able to ask my colleagues questions about how to use them and discuss the purpose and usefulness of each tool. This is one of the most valuable human filters I have found, especially when I am able to collaborate with teachers in my own department (English), because I am likely to be interested in many of the same tools they are using in their classrooms.

Lastly, I have also used other members of the field of education as human filters. These members may include administrators, presenters, teachers, and even other students who may have used Web 2.0 tools and have experiences to share. I've often learned of new tools when attending workshops hosted by administrators and fellow teachers across the country. Often, I've found use for such tools in my own classroom. My own students, having used Web 2.0 tools in their other classes, are reliable filters, as they can share their own personal experiences with using the technology productively. Professors and students in graduate courses in education (such as this one!) are also reliable human filters for Web 2.0 tools for the classroom.

I have used all of these human filters in my search for useful classroom technology, and they have helped me to tremendously narrow down my search results to what I might deem to be the "better" Web 2.0 tools for my English classes. Once I've narrowed my results, however, I must closely evaluate the tools I've found to ultimately decide whether or not I will be able to use them effectively. For this task, a rubric for evaluating these tools is helpful. Check my next post for a closer evaluation of some Web 2.0 tools with a rubric.

No comments:

Post a Comment